So, with that out of the way, let's talk about the recipe.
I don't particularly think of this as anything fancy or special--you can find this is the deli isle of almost any grocery store on earth next to the cole slaw and potato salad--but I pulled this one out at a church potluck, and people loved it. To mean, this salad screams summer, grilling, outdoors, picnics, etc. Most of the time, the bacon and cheese are most prominent in this salad, but I really like it to be a little sweeter with more emphasis on the cashews and cranberries. Hopefully you like it, too.
for the salad
- About 2 pounds broccoli crowns, chopped into small, bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries, plus additional for garnishing
- 2/3 heaping cup roasted cashew halves, plus additional for garnishing
- about 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I pretty much just garnish with it)
- 2-3 slices crispy bacon, chopped
- 1.5 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 tablespoons fruity vinegar (I use a raspberry white balsamic)
- 2 heaping tablespoons sugar