Saturday, August 15, 2009

Broccoli Salad

People, I don't measure. I'm sorry. Sometimes I try to measure, knowing full well that I'm going to have to write up a list of ingredients to put on the blog, but it's just not that easy. As you go along, you realize that you need a little more of this, or you just use handfulls rather than measuring cups. Sometimes you measure all the ingredients, but then you throw a little more on top as a garnish at the end. People, I just assume that you are intelligent and creative and will add more or less onion if you feel like it.

So, with that out of the way, let's talk about the recipe.

I don't particularly think of this as anything fancy or special--you can find this is the deli isle of almost any grocery store on earth next to the cole slaw and potato salad--but I pulled this one out at a church potluck, and people loved it. To mean, this salad screams summer, grilling, outdoors, picnics, etc. Most of the time, the bacon and cheese are most prominent in this salad, but I really like it to be a little sweeter with more emphasis on the cashews and cranberries. Hopefully you like it, too.

Broccoli Salad

for the salad
  • About 2 pounds broccoli crowns, chopped into small, bite-size pieces
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 2/3 cup dried cranberries, plus additional for garnishing
  • 2/3 heaping cup roasted cashew halves, plus additional for garnishing
  • about 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I pretty much just garnish with it)
  • 2-3 slices crispy bacon, chopped
for the dressing

  • 1.5 cup mayonnaise
  • 1.5 tablespoons fruity vinegar (I use a raspberry white balsamic)
  • 2 heaping tablespoons sugar
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the dressing well. Immediately before serving (you don't want the nuts to get soggy), fold the dressing into the salad, stirring until well-coated. Top with retained cranberries and cashews.

1 comment:

Holly said...

this was delicious and now I can make it too :)