Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sautéed Yellow Squash



I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but guys, I grew that squash myself and I have been so excited to eat it.  It was grown in the coolest community garden you've ever seen.  I've had a few squash casualties along the way, so I was pretty happy to get this one out alive and whole and perfect and amazing.  I served it with a little rosemary from the garden, too, making it amazing.   


My good buddy taught me a while ago to sweat zucchini and squash before sautéing them.  This draws out quite a bit of the moisture in them, letting them sear and brown rather than get all squishy.  As excited as I was  to eat the thing, I'm glad I took his advice.  The finished project was beautifully browned and just a little crisp and full of love and earthy goodness.


Sautéed Yellow Squash

ingredients
  • one large yellow squash
  • up to 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • A pinch of chopped herbs, like rosemary or oregano
  • Pepper to taste (plus salt, if necessary, but likely not)



Cut of the ends of the squash, and cut into rings, about 1/2 inch think.  In a bowl, toss the squash slices with some salt until well coated.  Place the slices on a few layers of paper towels, then top with a few more layers. Press down lightly, and let sit about 20 minutes.  Adjust the paper towels if they're getting too damp.  When done, give each slice a little rub-down with a paper towel to remove excess salt and moisture.



Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat.  When hot, add the squash slices in a single, uncrowded layer.  Top with a little pepper and herbs.  Let simmer a few minutes, until slightly golden.  Flip them, and repeat on the other side.  Serve and enjoy summer's bounty.



2 comments:

Jessica said...

This looks delicious! I bet it'd go great with fried okra ; )

Brenda said...

You have become quite the chef! Oh wait you always have been! It is fun reading your blog and thinking of all the delicious food I need to cook!