Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Breaded, Pan-fried Zucchini

So, this garden of mine has started producing, and it hasn't stopped.  Sometimes I'll go out to water and there will be a full grown zucchini when I am quite sure there wasn't one there yesterday.

Needless to say, I have been trying to find different ways to prepare them (and people to give them to).  This particular way gives some nice texture and flavor.   Just for reference, the ones in the picture are cut just a little too thick--the insides didn't quite cooked through when the outsides were finished.
Breaded, Pan-friend Zucchini


Ingredients

  • 2 medium zucchini, cut about 1/3 inch thick.
  • about 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • about 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • about 1 cup Italian style dry bread crumbs 
  • pepper, to taste
  • Parmesan cheese, to garnish
Toss the zucchini slices with the salt.  Place the slices between several layers of paper towels for 10-20 minutes.  This draws out the moisture, letting them cook more evenly and firmly.  Dry off each slice with a paper towel, removing any excess salt.

Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.  Dip the zucchini slices in the egg mixture, then coat with the bread crumbs (I add some pepper to the bread crumbs, but you decide to taste).  Place the slices in the pan (don't crowd them), and cook about 4-5 minutes a side, until golden brown.  If they're browning too quickly, turn down the heat because you want them to cook through.  

Serve warm topped with some Parmesan cheese. 

4 comments:

tkangaroo said...

I would happily take some off your hands! Zucchini Brownies!!! :)

Jen_in_Kansas said...

I came here from my Farmer's Market Newsletter in Wichita Kansas. This recipe looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it this weekend!

Bradley said...

Jen, I hope you enjoy. During the summer I get so much zucchini I don't know what to do with it all. Just a question about your comment: was this blog in a farmer's market newsletter? I had no idea we were so famous!

vickymourne said...

Yum :) Sometimes the simplest ideas are the very best !