- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 shallots
- 1 small vidalia onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder blend, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 green pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 can packed, pureed pumpkin
- 1 pound beef steak
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
Add the tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, beef stock, and pumpkin. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and let simmer (in total, you'll want it to simmer about two hours).
Meanwhile, heat a cast-iron skillet to medium high. Coat with a little olive oil. Salt and pepper the steak on both sides, and sear on the skillet, about 4 minutes a side. It doesn't need to cook through, just get a beautiful crust on both sides. Cut it into 1/4 inch cubes, and add to the chili.
Carefully to taste, add the oregano, paprika, honey, salt, and pepper. Stir frequently, and adjust seasoning as necessary.