Sunday, March 30, 2008

Curry Orzo



So, this recipe was born of necessity. I realized one hour beforehand that I was going to a church potluck, and I didn't have anything to bring. Using only what I had in my cupboards, I tried to recreate, with a few twists, a dish I frequently have for lunch at the super-limited deli where I go to school.


Curry Orzo

Ingredients
  • 2 cups orzo pasta
  • 1 cup shredded carrot
  • 2 small-to-medium apples, chopped
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 handful raisins (I didn't have any raisins on me at the time, but I'm sure they would have been great in it)
  • 1 handful cashews (again, I think they'd be good, but I didn't have any on hand)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder (curry powder is highly variable, so this is totally flexible. The kind I use is quite hot, so I tend to go on the low side)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry, ground ginger root
  • salt to taste

Boil the orzo in salted water, about 10 minutes or until al dente. Meanwhile, mix the olive oil, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, and ginger in a small bowl. Drain the orzo and rinse with cold water. Mix with the carrots, apples, celery, onions, raisins, and cashews. Pour the spice mixture over and stir until well-distributed. Refrigerate and serve cold.

No comments: