My mom used to make a recipe similar to this quite often, and there is a sentimental place in my heart for it. So maybe it's more retro to the early 90's than the mid 50's, but in any case, it's good and filling.
The other day I realized it had been quite some time since eating a vegetable (these things happen in a bachelor grad student's home occasionally), and looking around the fridge and freezer, this was the solution. If I wanted a healthy, and nutritious dinner, obviously the solution was to cover vegetables with cream, butter, and cheese sauce. Healthy and happy. Mmmm good.
Creamed Peas on Toast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove, minced garlic
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour
- about 1 cup milk (I used about 1/2 milk and 1/2 half-and-half, which I had in the fridge)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Toasted bread slices
Add the peas and stir until heated through, but not mushy. Add the cheese and chives, and stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on toast, or as a side dish.